Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Susan LaHoda: “Thanks To Each Of You”

Yesterday we posted some words of appreciation from key Imagine! leaders in honor of Susan LaHoda, who is retiring next week from her position as Executive Director of the Imagine! Foundation. Today, we’d like to share some words from Susan herself, as she looks back on her incredibly successful tenure. 

Dear Friends,

It is a bittersweet moment. Retirement looks both relaxing and energizing—and definitely inviting. But leaving Imagine! and the people I have been honored to meet while Executive Director of the Imagine! Foundation will be difficult.

I remember clearly where then Imagine! CEO John Taylor and I were – at the foot of the stairs in the Dixon building lobby in the spring of 2000 – when Bob Charles said something like, “I think we can make this work!” He was talking about the brand new, separate fundraising arm of Imagine! to be known eventually as the Imagine! Foundation. It was the “we” that was critical, because he was, in effect, saying that he would take on the lead volunteer role in establishing the Foundation. I continue to believe that without Bob Charles the Imagine! Foundation would not be where it is today.

What a privilege it has been to work with all of the Foundation board members over the years, including especially our Board Presidents: Bob Charles, Jack Stoakes, George Karakehian, John Mehaffy, Leona Stoecker, Sandy Bracken, and now Walt Pounds. What an amazing group of people! It is no small feat to take the time and energy to understand the complexity of Imagine! and to devote countless volunteer hours to telling the Imagine! story in our community and asking for support. But all of our Foundation board members over the years have done this with enthusiasm, dedication, and heart.

I am also grateful to our wonderful donors who have been so supportive and willing to invest in Imagine!’s mission. They have attended the Imagine! Celebration, made grants, written checks, responded to online crowdfunding appeals, donated property, made bequests, sent heartwarming notes, provided auction items and other in-kind gifts, and truly have made a difference in the lives of those we serve. My heartfelt thanks to all of our donors. It has been a pleasure to get to know you, and I applaud you for your generosity.

The staff of Imagine! is unique. I have been in the non-profit world for about 35 years, and I have never encountered a staff of the caliber of Imagine! employees. At least from my perspective, people are encouraged to voice their opinions, disagreements are respectful, humor is ever-present, people are accountable to themselves and each other, creativity is supported, and hard work is appreciated and recognized. Much of the credit for this climate goes to the two Imagine! CEOs I have served with, John Taylor and Mark Emery, who are both exceptional leaders. I am also particularly privileged to have worked closely with two of the best colleagues ever—Heather Sabo, the Foundation’s Resource Development Coordinator, and Christina Craigo, the Foundation’s grant writer.

And from those we serve, I have learned every day the true meaning of humanity. I marvel at my good fortune to be able to end my career here at Imagine!. Thanks to each of you for your support for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities and for creating the opportunity of a lifetime for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment