Thursday, March 1, 2018

Thank You Thursday

Two fun "thank yous" today.

Last month, Annie Gray and Dany Tanguay reached out to help Imagine! raise funds during our annual Imagine! Celebration. Annie and Dany frequent a local knitting group and learned about Imagine! through fellow knitters. These two ladies personally knitted warm gear for the gala’s silent auction. Between the large blanket, cowl, and several winter hats, Imagine! raised $435.

We are so thankful to Dany and Annie, and we invited them to share their stories on what a healthy community means to them, and why they chose to help Imagine!.

Dany
“Once I learned of the auction, I knew I wanted to do something for Imagine!. I've learned over the last year or so how much of an impact Imagine! has had in the community and how much it has helped people, including a very dear friend of mine.

I see a community as a place where individuals can live comfortably and have the ability to surround themselves with people that care. It's knowing where you can get help if needed (or give help), and knowing that if you are lost someone out there can point you in the right direction.”

Annie
"I have a good friend who received a grant through Imagine! for her son. Learning that Imagine! helps local families in a meaningful way is what drove me to donate. I support other transparent charity organizations, but as a new mother, Imagine! resonated deeply with me.

I started the blanket on Jan 20 and finished knitting, washing, and drying on Jan 25. The last two days were a knitting marathon! My son helped me out by taking some good long naps toward the end.

My idea of a healthy community is empathy and caring. You can’t go wrong truly caring for a neighbor and being there for them. While we can’t all financially support everyone, love, understanding, and friendship are free.

As a second generation Korean-American, I had the unique opportunity to see a community of first generation Korean immigrants support one another in a new country. Spiritually, they had the church. Financially, every member donated to a pot. When one member in their community faced a huge hardship, such as a theft or damage to their business, or sudden medical emergency, the money pot was given to them. Then my parents and community members would build up the pot again to take care of the next person with future hardships.

I see Imagine! as a more modernized improvement on this system and I'm happy to have helped in any way. I plan to continue for many more years." 

No comments:

Post a Comment