Thursday, January 6, 2011

Innovations Brings Children ‘Home’

Here’s a nice story that illustrates just one of the many ways that Imagine! supports members of our community, and why your support of the Imagine! Foundation is so important. Thanks to Kristina Mondragon for sharing this story.

Note: The name of the individual used in this story has been changed.

Bob was nineteen years old and beginning to despair. He had been in the child welfare system for five years. For much of that time, he was hoping that he would find a foster home, but it hadn’t happened. “I didn’t know if there was a family out there for me,” he said. Then his caseworker referred Bob to Imagine!'s Innovations for Children department. Shortly thereafter, things began to change.

Bob was placed in a foster home in November, just before Thanksgiving. Bob’s foster parents opened their hearts and home to him and immediately made him part of the family. “I feel like I’m their son, and they support me in my goals,” Bob stated.

Over the past several weeks, Bob has enjoyed spending time with his new brothers and sisters, and has developed relationships with his foster parents’ extended family. Bob also started volunteering at a local food bank where he hopes to “learn job skills and help people who really need it.”

Just before the holiday season, Bob told his Imagine! placement worker, “This is the first time I have a family for the holidays and I think this year I will be happy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment